Skip to main content

IWSG February 2 Post

This is my second monthly post since joining the Insecure Writer's Support Group! I love this community I've joined and the support it provides!

The IWSG prompt this month was:  "Is there someone who supported or influenced you that perhaps isn't around anymore? Anyone you miss?"

My mind immediately goes to my fifth-grade teacher, and while she is still alive, and I've spoken to her many times since graduating the fifth grade, I won't be speaking to her anymore. Unfortunately, my identity as a nonbinary person with leftist political ideals is...quite the opposite of anything she'd approve of associating herself with, to put it nicely. So, while still "around" in the "alive" sense, she is no longer "around" in my life. I want to say that I miss her, miss what was taught to me when I was 10 years old, but, looking back, everything she taught me was clouded with that ultra-conservative cloud, everything was about her political "freedoms" in the classroom. Honestly, it's a wonder to me how many of us from that class turned out as liberal as we did, that woman really had us making fun of the one kid in the class that said he would've voted for Obama if he was old enough (this was the year after the 2012 election where Romney (a Mormon) lost to Obama, and we were a bunch of middle class, mostly white Mormon kids from the suburbs of Salt Lake City, Utah). I'm so ashamed of that past part of me but also enraged at the fact that an elementary school teacher had this much control over a bunch of 10 and 11-year-olds politically, and used it to bully the one student that wouldn't cave under her pressures.

After more thought, I went to my Latin/Psychology/Academic Decathlon teacher from high school. But I realized that we still keep in touch and I'll be seeing him on the Ides of March for my University's Ludi Romani (Roman Games) put on by the Classics Department here. (He happens to be an alumnus of my university as well) So he is definitely not gone. But I do miss his daily influence. I miss the absolute show-stopping quality he brought to every single lecture. I miss how much he cared about what I had to say, how much he wanted to see each and every one of us succeed at whatever it was that we wanted to do. He is the most creative person I've ever met, and I just hope that one day I can be just as unique, confident, and imaginative as he is, and have that same sort of positive influence on the people entrusted to me.

Comments

  1. We are truly blessed when we find someone who encourages us to be the best person we can be. How wonderful that you aspire to pass on the encouragement your teacher gave you. We all need that in our life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cited my third grade teacher as a major influencer. Your salute to your fifth grade teacher reinforces every axion put forward about the value of teachers -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our first writing teachers are the ones who show us the way and give us that first moment of believing maybe we CAN do this writing thing. Welcome to the ISWG!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IWSG January 5 Post

First off, this is my very first monthly post since joining the  Insecure Writer's Support Group , and I'm excited to be a part of it and respond to prompts! I would also like to apologize for not posting for a while, I have been spending extra time with family before I move out this coming weekend. The IWSG prompt this month was "What's the one thing about your writing career you regret the most? Were you able to overcome it?" This is a rather simple answer for me. I regret not having started sooner; if I had actually kept my childhood notebooks filled with stories (which I now only have vague memories of), I would have so much more stuff I could share with people. Instead, I'm just a broke college student with a laptop and some dreams, revising their old Notes App poetry to post online. Unfortunately, I don't think this is something I can "overcome" I can't change the past, but I can look towards the future and commit to keeping my ideas in

A Little Health Update

In case you haven't read about my recent medical issues regarding my metabolic levels, you can  here . Yesterday, I was finally able to get in for a heart ultrasound. Everything came back perfectly normal, which was both frustrating and a relief. The low potassium levels I've been experiencing haven't done any lasting damage to my heart, but we still have no idea why I'm still having intense chest pain and palpitations. I almost wish that something small did show up just so I could get some answers. I feel awful saying that, but I'm just so frustrated with the lack of options for me right now and want this to be solved. Luckily, there's still hope that they can figure something out from the heart monitor I'll wear for 24 hours. Unfortunately, I'm not able to get one until February, so we'll see if the issue has solved itself by then and I'm just wasting money ( ah, the American healthcare system, don't you love it? ). The fatigue has been rou